Category Archives: Food
Ok, so the U.S. of A just killed a major terrorist leader. Am I the only one who feels a little saddened at the jubilation of our country’s citizens over it?
Maybe it’s because I live in a small-liberal-arts-college bubble.
Ok, that’s most definitely why.
My neighbors at the Air Force Academy are having lots of fun celebrating. Amazing how we’re in the same city, but it feels like worlds away! Their celebrations have been a little tamer than other colleges, at least…
But honestly? I don’t like death. In any, any case. Not even in the name of justice. Call me a peace-loving hippie, but in my ideal world, everyone guilty of a crime would be locked away in a box somewhere, put through some kind of living-purgatory-type-experience (I’m thinking LOST as a model), and released into existence again when they’re truly sorry for what they did.
Small liberal arts college. I did warn you.
But just because my college is full of liberal tree-huggers doesn’t mean we won’t turn this into an excuse to party on a Monday night. My school is in “8th block,” a.k.a. the last quarter of the semester. I still can’t get the glitter out of my hair from this shindig:
Tonight, however, I need to catch up on sleep, so I will leave you with my food-related hopes and dreams! Ready?
In my ideal world, everyone would realize how delicious the combo of sprouts, avocado, & hummus is, and I’d be able to let animals roam free without fear of humans eating them.
In my ideal world, everyone I love would stop to partake in Sunday brunch.
In my ideal world, I would have the option to go back to my pre-paid campus dining hall whenever I didn’t feel like scrounging in my fridge.
There would be more salads. Period.
There would be lots of sprouts, because for some reason, when I eat them I feel like I’m channeling the Buddha. (where did I make that association, I wonder?)
I would know the Chobani company personally, just to make sure they’re treating their dairy cows right. (Because if it wasn’t for greek yogurt, I’d easily be vegan all the time!)
I would make the whole world see that green monster smoothies are absolutely delicious.
(I might have forced this down the throats of several of my teammates one pre-rugby-game morning. No one gagged, that’s a start!)
And…my roomie would surprise me with wonderful baked goods every night! (It’s a wonder what an unexpected pie can do for a student on the verge of a breakdown!)
And similar to bad criminals, bad weather would go into hiding, think about what it’s done to the hearts and minds of sun-loving girls like me, and only come back out for holiday festivities and the occasional ski trip.
More of this, please.
Thoughts on politics?
Favorite trees to hug?
Sharing is caring!
I think spending most of the past 3 years at college in Colorado has made me dependent on sunshine, completely slave to its connotations of optimism and happiness. Regardless of the fact that my fair shoulders are still sporting sunburn lines from 2 months ago, I am itching for the impending (hopefully soon) days where I will require more SPF than the 15 included in my still-too-dark-for-me tinted moisturizer. Month of May, I’m counting on you.
Alas, hurumph. Seeing as the past week has looked like this at school…
And this at my grandparent’s cabin, where I stayed for Easter:
A few peeks of sunshine here and there, but no consistent beacons of light from the heavens. Being Easter weekend and all, I was craving warm weather like my Christian upbringing should have taught me to crave the coming of Jesus. Too far? Ok.
Thank God for the arrival of my mom and sister, who nourished me with good food!
(The x’s on her hands add to her naive charm, no?)
The sun did come out sometimes, and those times seemed to call for a beverage with rice milk. Funny how that happens!
What are your thoughts on…
Until last week, when this precipitation marathon commenced, it had rained all of 3 times that semester, and I had loved that. There’s only so much tea-sipping and novel-reading I can do before I get antsy.
Milk in your coffee?
I usually roll with soy, but I like to switch it up and get other alternatives when they’re offered. I still need to try hemp milk!
What up bloggies! Sorry I’ve been so m.i.a. this week. I have some excuses prepared! The truth is, it’s not that I’m (purposely) neglecting the blog world. It’s just that I’m a busy, busy college student with a grueling schedule. For elaboration on my school’s weirdo philosophy, see here. I have definitely stretched myself thin this semester. Oy! So in my free time, this what I can be found doing:
- Napping, napping, napping! I can’t seem to get to bed until after midnight nowadays, and since I teach at a high school in the early mornings (which requires getting up at 6:45), I seem to be always in need of more sleep. This is especially essential before rugby practices.
- Smiling over random happenings in my day, like getting a text from my roommate Dicky saying, “Erica thank you so much. Your salad is soooo good” (I didn’t take a picture, but I layered spinach, roasted brussels sprouts, black beans, corn/peas/carrots, & avocado. He was skeptical, but ended up loving it.) In return, this Taiwanese boy taught me the proper technique for making pancakes, which I was totally unaware of (you have to wait for the bubbles to stop bubbling? really? It’s a testament to the instant-gratification culture of the USA, really, that me, this American girl who should be able to make pancakes like it’s her job, had been too impatient to wait for them to fully cook before flipping.)
- Attempting to fit “legit” cooking into my life. I can’t remember the last time I actually planned out a dinner! Usually I’ll just sautee lots of veggies, add some protein, nutritional yeast or goat cheese, and put it on a huge pile of spinach. Or I just use my dining dollars and eat the yummy (most of the time) food my school has to offer.
- Reveling in life’s funny coincidences. I discovered that a male acquaintance of mine will be living in the house next to me next school year! I can’t remember if this before or after we made out. Regardless, I’m thrilled about it.
- Socializing with the guests that appear in my 6-person apartment. It does wonders for expanding my circle of friends! (see above. hehe!)
- Chatting with far-away friends about our crazy iives, and how we survive them. Sample quote from me: “I can’t believe he abandoned you during your first rave on ectasy! He should have stayed in a jail a little bit longer.”
- Playing rugby, loving my ruggers, and simultaneously being reminded of just how dangerous the sport is. Our team has just been rocked by the recent death of the University of Texas Women’s Rugby captain. It’s a shocking wake-up call for college rugby, and especially for our team since some of our players were playing when that injury occurred.
- Listening to the Smokey Robinson channel on Pandora Radio. It’ll turn your frown upside-down and heal your soul.
- Oh, and eating! Yes. How could i forget?
Well that’s all I’ve got for now.My weekend is sure to be full of paper-writing, partying, & rugby playing; I’m hoping for sunshine to accompany them all!
Do you like the rain?
We got a thunderstorm the other night, and it was so refreshing because it NEVER rains in Colorado!
What’s the best thing you’ve eaten lately?
My college’s dining hall has started serving gluten-free pancakes at its midnight breakfasts, so even the gluten-free drunk kids can get their drunchies on! They’re actually quite tasty, and I enjoyed some last night. Clarification: Not drunk. 🙂
Have you ever had days where your mind feels more than a smidgen awry, and you think, “Who the hell am I?”
Of course, I could be feeling foggy for many reasons. Shall I count the ways?
- My head’s a little shaken from my rugby game this afternoon. We were missing a couple of key players, so it was rough and everyone got considerably banged up.
- I was drunk on Friday night. Not that unusual for a college student, but I don’t drink often, and I didn’t plan for it while eating dinner (read: did not eat bread to soak up the alcohol!) so 2 shots and I was done for.
- I pulled an all-nighter to write a paper on Thursday night. In my defense, I had dance rehearsals & performances every night that week, and I didn’t start the paper until 1 a.m. Ok, that’s a pitiful defense.
- I’ve been listening to Ree Drummond’s The Pioneer Woman on my iPod. Ergo, my head is spinning with dreams of my own real-life romance with a cowboy.
- My mom and my sister are coming to visit in a week, so I need to finish my final paper for class before they arrive. Good thing analyzing Ramakrishna’s mystio-erotic spirtuality through the lens of Hindu masculinity will be an exciting paper to write!
Who the hell am I?
Despite the fog, here’s what’s making me happy at the moment:
And last but not least…
Anything not-so-nice about your weekend worth ranting about?
What is your opinion on frisbee?
So I decided to go with it, and take a myspage-worthy survey instead.
Oh, and to scatter it around food. Enjoy!
Regret Something You Did In The Past? (Who starts with that question??)
Yes, but why worry about what you can’t change?
Country You Wanna Visit
New Zealand, Thailand, Denmark…
Way You Wanna Die:
After a long and very fulfilling life.
They don’t happen often in Colorado, so any type of rain brings back a whole bunch of memories. Yes, I enjoy them.
Get Along W/ Your Parents?
Yes. So well that they probably know too much about my life at this point.
R U A Health Freak?
One could say that 🙂
U Think Ur Attractive?
Why yes, I do. And so should you, whatever high school girl you are who wrote this!
Do You Believe In Yourself?
All day, erryday. All I do is win.
Wanna Get Married?
Eventually, and hopefully just once.
Wanna Go To College?
I do, now let’s hope I graduate with my dignity intact.
Not always. Oops.
One day, but not at all soon!
When Do U Wanna Lose Your Virginity?
Oh man, that ship has sailed…
Do U Hate Anyone?
I can honestly say I do not, and that’s a great feeling. Even if I did, I wouldn’t make a fuss about it.
Can You Unwrap A Starburst W/ Your Tongue?
I’ve never even tried. Should I?
Do You Think You Can Sing?
Not to toot my own horn, but I have a lovely first soprano voice. I’m not in a choir anymore, so it hardly gets used.
Can You Open You Eyes Underwater?
So well that I never bother to close them. Ha!
Eat Whatever And Not Worry?
Hah! Good one. No, and that’s a reason why I have this blog. But I’m almost thankful for that!
Can You Whistle?
No, but it’s not really on my list of priorities. I can’t snap my fingers, either!
Can You Walk In High Heels?
I can even run in them! Sometimes. If I’m sober.
Do You Sleep With The Light On?
No more than a desk lamp, when I’m waiting for my roomie to get home.
Do You Like Super Spicy Foods?
I can’t even handle “medium” salsa! I wish my taste buds were stronger.
Can You Multitask?
Oh yes. I like to think that my generation is particularly skilled at it.
Touch Your Nose With Your Tongue?
Can You Fit In Your Locker?
I could in high school, but I haven’t had the urge to try that lately.
Do You Spit?
If I’m feeling particularly phlegmy on a run. And only if no one is looking!
Can You Taste The Difference Between Pepsi And Coke?
If You Could Wish 4 Anything…What Would You Wish?
World Peace! Really. Let’s get on that. And better animal rights.
What Kind Of Perfume Or Colone Do You Wear?
Marc Jacobs Daisy, which I’ve had for years. It takes forever for me to go through perfume!
What Kind Of Soap Do You Use?
I think I’m washing with a cheapo Softsoap scrub nowadays. But it smells nice!
What’s Your Favorite Scent?
Campfires. No competition. (I don’t think they bottle that scent, though.)
Would You Choose To Live Forever If You Could?
Probably not, but if I could benefit the world somehow by being immortal, I would.
Answer me a question, would ya?
Have a wonderful day!
Maybe it’s because Colorado is experiencing some freakish weather right now.
Maybe it’s because I’m ashamed that I haven’t learned to rock climb yet.
Maybe it’s because I climbed the mountain in this video too long ago (not even 2 years!) and that was without being on the constant verge of a 1000 ft vertical drop.
For whatever reason, I’m obsessed with this gem of a clip about a female rock climber named Steph Davis. I think I’ve played it at least 10 times now:
Watch it. You’ll get dizzy, but it’ll be great. Trust me.
The Youtube channel it’s on is chock full of amazing feats of outdoor adventurers. I think it was just what I needed for a little kick in the butt to start the week!
On this manic Monday, I started with the (really) lazy girl’s version of overnight oats: about-an-hour oats 🙂
Meaning that I mixed these together, walked to my hour of student teaching at the high school, and then devoured them on the way back to campus. Not too shabby!
But as I arrived on campus, my mind (body? same thing) realized how early I had gotten up, and wanted caffeine.
I’ll say one thing: coffee is a powerful, powerful force.
I stayed awake through class, but my heart would.not.stop.thumping afterwards. Can’t complain, though; I wasn’t really hungry, so I got ahead on some of the night’s reading and ended up munching a red bell pepper for lunch:
Know what else is a powerful thing? Planning ahead. I knew I’d be starving after ballet and gym, so I pressed and marinated a block of tofu in balsamic vinegar & garlic powder before I left, popped the pieces in a 375 degree oven when I got home at 5:15, and took them out in time for 6:00 dance rehearsal in the form of a beautiful, fulfilling salad.
Now my reading’s all done, and it’s not even 9 pm yet. I could get used to this 😉
It’s no free-soloing the Diamond face of Longs Peak, but it’s been a day of achievement.